Sunday, November 30, 2014

9 Ways to Make Your Dorm Feel Like Home for the Holidays!

Christmas is a time for fun and cheer.... and lots of decorations. What is a tradition for most families in their households can be carried over to your dorm room (your roomie permitting...) with ease. Here are 9 ways you can "spruce" up your room to make it feel homey in time for the holiday season!!


1. Set up a Christmas tree (if you celebrate Chrismas)
The Christmas tree is iconic. It brings people together, and a light into your home. Why not bring a tiny version into your room?? I got my tree at Jo-Ann's on Black Friday for ~$5, along with a set of 10 snowflake lights for $1 at the Dollar Tree. Not very cost effective at all! PLUS!!! You and your roomie/friends/enemies can come together and make ornaments for funsies. It'll be a good bonding experience.


2. String lights and garland around your room
Easy peasy. It'll take 10 minutes, and costs about ~$5 for a 100 sting lights from Walgreens. That's about enough to go over your windows. Also, if you're lazy, you can leave them up all year and it won't even be a big deal!


3. Window sticky thingies.
Now everyone outside can see that you're filled with Christmas/Hannukah/your holiday of choice spirit!! It'll make ya smile when you open your blinds in the morning too. You can also put them on your mirrors for a little extra somethin'!


4. Scents
Scented pinecones and/or a holiday themed scented candle bring the holiday vibe together. There are some fascinating visual effects you can bring into your room, but you can't forget the smells!! My roomie and I have cinnamon scented pinecones for decoration and a pine tree scented candle-- a fantastic combo. Bring the smell of Christmas out of the cold and into your cozy room.


5. Wear Christmas PJ's
When I wear my jammies I just feel so cozy. This season is a time to feel happy and cuddly, and what better way to feel so cozy than with special PJ's and maybe a fuzzy blanket? Snugglin' is great, and if you have a fab roomie like I do, maybe you'll even snuggle together!


6. Play Christmas music every waking hour of the day.
My roomie and I have a record player, so you best believe I brought my Nutcracker vinyl back to school with me after break! Set up a playlist on YouTube of some of your faves and play them when you need something to get jiggy with during a study sesh.
Here are some of my personal favorites to get you started:
All I Want for Christmas is You (Mariah Carey)
Let is Snow (Dean Martin)
What Christmas Means to Me (Hanson)
Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt)


7. Lots of  Ho-Cho.
After a long day of sledding as a lil' kiddo, I would always look forward to coming home to a nice big mug of hot chocolate! Now when I come home from walking through the cold all the way up to my room, I like to warm back up with the same drink I enjoyed in my youth.


8. Paper Snowlflakes
CLASSIC. They are so easy to make and take such little effort that it's hard to say no to this (unless you're a lil' Grinch). You can tape them up, hang them from places, whatever. It's honestly so hard to go wrong with these!


9. Watch Frozen....(Or a classic holiday favorite)
Rudolph, Frosty, The Island of Misfit Toys, A Christmas Story.... everyone that celebrates Christmas has a favorite movie to watch
But Frozen, man, I just really like that movie. I even have Elsa pajamas that I got on Black Friday this year. Trust me--just watch this video!

No comments:

Post a Comment